Friday 12 August 2011

Book Review : The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne CollinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Well, for those of you wondering what I'm doing when I'm not able to be online, the answer is mostly, reading. (Right now, I can only manage audiobooks, but that's fine since I've really got into this method of reading, recently, and I can get *most* of the books I want to read, in that format ... though I suspect that at some point I'm going to want to buy a paper copy of this trilogy, preferably a really nice boxset!! ;) ) I loved this book so much that I actually got around to writing a short review on Goodreads, where I usually just give a star rating. And I loved it so much that I decided to share my review with you guys too, despite the fact that it has nothing to do with my usual subject matter here!

There's no real spoilers here, so if you haven't read the book, you're safe to read on. :)

The Hunger Games really was honestly the best book I've read in at least 2 years!!! It was gut-wrenching, heartbreaking, and beautifully written. (It seems like it was a work of love & passion for the author.)

I genuinely didn't want to put the book down, (or rather, turn it off!) and the only benefit in having finished the book is that I left it so long to get around to reading it, that I could jump straight into the second book in the trilogy, 'Catching Fire' (equally as excellent!)!!

'That moment' with Rue was one of the most emotional few minutes imaginable from a mere story.

In my opinion, it was all the more emotional because there is grounding in reality. Ok, so in many countries, we are very lucky with the lives we lead, in general. I live in the UK and count myself very lucky for it indeed! (Though even in our own country, there are people living in abject misery every day of their lives!) But there are many countries (and many past civilisations) who are not so lucky with their governments, their living conditions, their culture. People die all the time in horrifying circumstances - and do terrible things to one another as a matter of course.

Katniss in particular is a realistic, beautifully written character - I like her all the more for her flaws and imperfection. She's not, perhaps, a naturally kind, loving character (except to those she sees as family), but she is very much a product of her society. I see in her someone who has shut her inside self off from the horrors she sees around her, creating a hard shell around herself to protect her heart. Yet even so, she finds it in herself to put herself forward to save her sisters life ... and later others, too. I find that not only realistic, but admirable and loveable.

I feel really drained emotionally from reading this book, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat!!

View all my reviews



Reader question about The Hunger Games

Reader Question :

Have you read this book?
If so, what were your thoughts about it? What feelings did it evoke in you?




Susannah's Signature
I'd love to hear your reply and I know it'll be valued by other readers too! I always try to respond, please just be aware that it can take me some time to find the energy to do so as I've been particularly ill recently and struggling to get online. Thanks for reading! :)


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment